Sunday 9 June 2013

I Discover a New Local Patch.

When talking to a local birder at Humberston Fitties last year and bemoaning the bad summer and the lack of dragonflies, he told me about some small pnds at the back of Cleethorpes Tesco which were good for broad bodied chasers.  Looking for somewhere near to visit this afternoon despite being cold and cloudy yet again, I decided on an exploratory trip.  Parking was easy and I was delighted to find an excellent area of scrubland bordering Buck's Beck.  The ponds were at first not easy to find but I eventually stumbled across them tucked up against the beck.  Although I only saw one female brad bodies there were plenty of blue-tailed and azure damselflies.  Ragged robin, yellow flag iris and ox-eye daisies were plentiful and I even came across some viper's bugloss where I parked the car.  One or two whitethroats were also singing so this spot seems to have a lot of potential.  In the words of General McArthur- I shall return!!

The Pond
Feather

Hogweed.

Ragged Robin.


Viper's Bugloss.

Yellow Flag.

A Blue-Tailed Damselfly enjoys lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment