Sunday 10 November 2013

Failure with the Long-Tailed Duck but Success with the Snow Buntings.

Although I was successful in photographing the long-tailed duck at Humberston yesterday, and pleased with the images, the light was rather poor.  In view of this I decided to return this morning in bright sun.  Unfortunately before I arrived an aquatic dog had frightened it away and all I found were one or two disconsolate photographers.  Not to be defeated I drove the shot distance to Buck Beck car park and set off across the marsh to the outer dunes.  The first bird I came across was a very tame turnstone which was so intent on feeding underneath a clump of seaweed it let me walk right up to it.  Getting into position was a different matter but eventually I managed to get between it and the dunes to get a clear shot.  Further along were two of the photographers I had met up with at the Fitties and they seemed to have their eyes on the snow buntings.  They had found one of two flocks of about 30 birds but they were becoming increasingly skittish and difficult to photograph.  Once settled though they proved particularly confiding but difficult to find in long grass.

To see the image large, click on a thumbnail.

All taken with Canon 7D with 500mm lens and 1.4 converter.  ISO 800 f5.6

Snow Bunting
Snow Bunting
Turnstone
Turnstone

No comments:

Post a Comment