Thursday 19 March 2015

A Bit of a Bimble.

The weather, unfortunately, didn't play ball yesterday turning cold and misty after a bright start, but as I needed to top up the feeders at the yard I decided to carry on as planned.  My first port of call was the winter feeding station where the seed feeders had, yet again, been totally cleaned out.  Tree sparrows I suspect.  The niger and peanuts had barely been touched and there was even some fat left!!  I sat in the hide for half an hour or so but very little was coming down.  The birds will need some time to find the seed again; I will try again in a couple of days.  It will soon be time to wind down the feeding station for another year, but what an excellent winter it has been.

From the yard I drove into the Wolds heading for Scallows calling in at the Little Owl site on the way.  I have been somewhat concerned about the owls as I hadn't seen them for two or three visits.  I was delighted, therefore, to see first one bird tucked away behind the fallen tree and then the other just poking its head above the trunk, amazingly camouflaged.  I took a few shots despite the birds not showing well and moved on to Scallows happy that all is well.

Winter is now passed at Scallows and the snowdrops and aconites well over.  Buds on the trees are swelling, hawthorn leaves are emerging and the lambs are now well grown so Spring is nearly here.  There seems to be plenty of activity in both badger sets and I plan to explore the potential of the nearby sett of 'Badger City' in the near future.

To view large, please click on an image.
Woodyard robin.
Hide and seek with the little owl.
Female Pheasant
Male Pheasant
Plenty of activity at the badger sett.
Winter Fields
Winter Fields
Winter Fields
Winter Fields
Gate latch
Glistening Ink Cap
Horse Chestnut
Wild Arum
Wood West End
Wood West End
Spring lamb and mum
Spring lamb and mum
Sycamore
Wood East End
Wood East End
Wood East En

No comments:

Post a Comment