Sunday 19 April 2015

Catching up with Spring at Scallows.

Yesterday afternoon continued to be sunny and spring like, although with a very cool fresh breeze.  It was time to get out to Scallows to catch up with Spring.  Things change really quickly at this time of the year and the wood is rapidly greening up.  Violets have now been joined by the odd bluebell opening up and I found several ferns unrolling their fronds.  The last time I had been out the buds were just bursting; now trees are coming into leaf and hawthorn has greened up the hedgerows.  I saw the usual buzzard and nuthatches were very vocal in the wood.  I also heard a chiff chaff and spotted a male blackcap.

To view large, please click on an image.














Ash flower


Horse Chestnut
Horse Chestnut
Parmelia Lichen sp.


Sycamore
Once I had finished in Scallows I drove back to the village to visit some friends who have cowslips and oxlips growing in their meadow and garden.
Cowslip
Cowslip
Oxslip

No comments:

Post a Comment