Friday 10 April 2015

Early Morning on The Fitties

As it was the last forecast good morning for weather this morning, I was up and out at 6.00 am and headed down to Fulstow to look for barn owls.  Just as I turned onto the side road leading to the village I saw one perched on a post.  The owl, just as surprised as me, took one look and flew off never to be seen again.  Sadly I didn't manage to contact with another one.  The sunset was a misty hazy affair, the sun appearing as a red ball through the pall of mist on the horizon.  Having failed on the barn owl front, I decided to check for early whitethroats on the sea bank at the Humberston Fitties end of Tetney Marshes RSPB reserve.  This is always a good place to find and photograph them as the males like to launch their noisy display flights from the tops of the low hawthorn bushes; it is an ideal spot to achieve a pleasing plain background without distractions.  It was still too early, however, and I shall try again in a week or so.  Although, it was quiet on the marshes redshank, oystercatcher and curlew were calling and a little egret was busy fishing.  Linnets  and reed buntings were busy in the low sea buckthorn bushes on the marsh and I managed to get a shot of a dunnock singing lustily in the hawthorns.  I was interested to see plenty of fresh activity at the badger sett which is built into the sea wall.

To view large, please click on an image.
Dunnock
Dunnock
Dunnock
Linnet
Linnet
Linnet
Meadow Pipit
Meadow Pipit
Reed Bunting
Reed Bunting

No comments:

Post a Comment