Sunday 23 April 2017

Llanfendigaid Adventures, Day 2

Our second morning saw me up early again and down to Tonfanneau and the beach and estuary.  It is just a delight.  I saw very little different, but it was pure joy to be down there with the world to myself.  I saw my first swallows of the year today; in the UK at least, I had seen them two weeks previously in Spain.  There were also a couple of pairs of red breasted mergansers on the river, but I couldn't get near enough for photographs.

Back at the house, when we finally got ourselves organised and everybody decided what they were going to do (not easy with 26!) a party of us decided to go off to walk up nearby Dolgoch Falls and have a picnic.  One of the things that I love about this area are the hillside oak woods which were just coming into leaf.  Later in the year Dolgoch will be alive with pied flycatchers and redstarts, but we were just too early; they had yet to arrive from Africa.  We did get excellent views of red kites, though, for which this area is noted.  It was good to see bluebells coming into flower and also ferns just beginning to unfurl.  The woods here resound with the sound of running water and tumbling waterfalls - magical. 

The pot of tea in the sun when we returned from the mountainside was most welcome.




















No comments:

Post a Comment