Thursday 4 May 2017

A Day With Green Hairstreaks.

I had been waiting for a reliably sunny day to visit Donna Nook on the Lincolnshire Coast to try for the small colony of green hairstreak butterflies that can be found here.  Although the cold easterly wind persisted, I knew that the site is on the sheltered side of the duens and should be warn and sunny.  It was.  I wore a hat but it was my winter beany which I soon discarded.  Being somewhat follicly challenged, I now have a sunburned head.  That apart, though I had a wonderful day and the best I have had there with the hairstreaks.  At one point I had three pairs of displaying insects around me which also readily settled on the hawthorn blossom.

Avocets could be heard calling from the pools on the adjacent rough land and a cuckoo paid a very close visit.  My first of the year; this is always a good spot to find them.  Whitethroats called in the bushes.  Splendid.

To view large, please click on an image.









No comments:

Post a Comment